Saturday 25 February 2012

Full Yen Econ Tournament Report (25/02/12)

Today's tourney as seen by me. Learned quite a lot from today's experience.

Pre-tourney: Found out Sebastian was my first opponent. Divine Intervention isn't it? Considering I've entered the YT tourney 4 times and 3 times I've matched up against him. Rofl.

Judges: Jiyeon, Eustace

Match 1: Empty Jar (Hakim) vs E-Heroes (Sebastian)
Win-Lose-Win

Game 1: I think I set a Deep Diver first and ended. His turn I think he summoned Stratos or Alius or something and rammed my Deep Diver. He checks the effect because its new to him and I show him I top deck Morphing Jar, which at the point he realizes I'm playing an Empty Jar deck. Drew, set Morphing Jar, Taiyou- got countered by Effect Veiler but then chained Book of Eclipse and proceeded to victory.

Game 2: Bad hand. Couldn't do much. Sebastian beat me down and controlled with Shock Ruler.

Game 3: Fun stuff. He summoned Honest first and hit me. Then I set like 2 cards and ended. His turn, he summoned Stratos, search Alius, then he had Stratos, Alius and Honest on the field. I was around half my lifepoints at that point so when he attacked with Stratos, I used Super Poly on his Alius and Stratos to summon E-HERO The Shining, like a boss. He got mind blown. Then, he used Compulsory Evac to bounce it and whack with Honest. So much win. Drew and proceeded to victory.


After the match, I began feeling like I was burning up. Don't think it was the weather, maybe just nervousness. But even now I feel like its still in on me.


Match 2: Empty Jar (Me) vs Some E-Hero deck
Win-Win

Game 1: IIRC, he had one Stratos and 2 or 3 set cards. When I flipped up Morphing Jar, he used Super Poly to summon E-Hero Gaia. But I just used Feather of the Phoenix to top deck it and win the next turn.

The guy had no side deck.

Game 2: Pretty much won.


My body continues overheating. Was I cursed? Couldn't stand it. Needed water.


Match 3: Empty Jar (Me) vs Lightsworn (Yoong Kang)
Win-Win

Game 1: Kinda won easily because of the right hand.

Game 2: I was doing the stun and all but then I got countered by an Effect Veiler and I had no counter or Book of Eclipse/Moon. Surprisingly. I still continued the stun anyway and won.


Becoming very hot and shaky. Difficult to focus and play.


Match 4: Empty Jar (Me) vs Laval (Poh Seng)
Win-Lose-Win

Played very slowly because of my current condition.

Game 1: He used Sweltering Heat Trasmission Wave (which is pretty much double foolish burial) to mill like 5 cards instantly. He ended his turn with Card Car D. Mind Blown. I kept stalling for time until he had like only half his deck left. Then I proceeded to winning. Along the way, he asked me the effects of my cards and I was rather surprised he didn't know.

Game 2: Bad hand. I think my Morphing Jar was around the bottom of my deck and I couldn't get searchers. I realized that I should use Prohibition to stop D.D. Crow from removing my cards. Kept stalling for time but got owned by Ancient Flamvell Deity, Stardust and Black Rose Dragon.

Game 3: Wow. I really managed to pull through here. I don't really recall entirely but It took me a couple of turns and a few beatings but I managed to OTK him.



Match 5: Empty Jar (me) vs Inzector (Wesley)
Lose-Lose

Game 1: Deep Diver got bombed but in this game, I stalled LIKE A BOSS. I think I activated One Day of Peace like 5 or 6 times? Till Wesley had like one card left in his deck. You know, he kept bombing all this cards and even used Torrential Tribute and Heavy Storm on himself. That's kind of an accomplishment. However, he eventually set up a new field and owned me because I dropped Swift Scarecrow the turn before.

Game 2: Lost. Bad. I kept stalling for time but I realized I could win. So yeah, he has like 5 cards left in his deck, I set and taiyou a needleworm- Effect veiler- book of eclipse- fiendish chain- book of eclipse- effect veiler. Shit. Lost from there, but I could have won from the Book of Eclipse by themselves because Wesley would draw himself to death. I think I'll let this one slide because I wasn't in good health at this point.

Overall I'm OK with this because Wesley used to play Empty Jar back when Book of Moon was at 3, so guess he has good experience with it and how to counter. And he's a nice guy, so its cool.


Overall, a very good experience in the tournament. Apparently, everyone who has Effect Veiler mains it and everyone sides in D.D. Crow. I think I may have misplayed by not using Prohibition on D.D. Crow as well. I also may consider maining Prohibition because of Effect Veiler.

Another thing I learned is that in the US, Empty Jar decks run Tour Guide of the Underworld because it is a lot more effective than Deep Diver. I should seriously put it in if possible because of today's Inzectors. But really, this deck is like $50-75 and probably one of the most budget decks in Yugioh, asides the foils-only. So do I really wanna pay $500 just for this? Obviously not. Though it'll be cool if I ever won the next tourney.

Also, a lot of people keep activating Solemn Warning and Torrential Tribute in response to Morphing Jar but I keep telling them they can't because it is NOT a flip summon but just a flip or battle position change. I also had to convince Sebastian and Jiyeon that when I had 4 set cards and then Book of Taiyou, I can chain Book of Eclipse AFTER because once the effect resolves, I have an open slot to chain. Its quite troubling because I feel like no one trusts or they don't agree with what I know. I mean, I've played this deck for a while so I try to know everything about my deck. So I hope people in the future understand this.

End of Tournament Report.
- Hakim

No comments: